Sunday, August 16, 2009

Mango Salsa

This is from my recipe book Delicious Dips by Diane Morgan. It's such a great resource for all kinds of dips, great for a party. I have made this recipe quite a few times and it seems to be a hit!

Hint: If mangoes aren't in season, peaches & nectarines work well. OR I only used fresh mangoes once, and realized that you can buy the frozed cubed mangoes and they work just as well. Make sure you thaw them out the night before and cut them up a bit smaller.

Ingredients

  • 2 mangoes, diced

  • 1/2 of small red onion, diced

  • 4 green onions, diced

  • 2 tomatoes (seeded), diced

  • 1 jalapeno chile (seeded), diced (I use anaheim chiles because they are more mild)

  • 1 cup fresh chopped cilantro

  • Juice of 1 large lemon

  • Juice of 1 lime

  • 2 tbl olive oil

  • 1 tsp kosher salt

In a bowl, mix all veggie ingredients together. In separate small bowl, stir together the lemon juice, lime juice, olive oil and salt until salt disolves. Pour liquid over mango mixture. Stir gently, cover, and set aside for at least 1 hour (even overnight works) before serving.


I have made this so many times that I've adjusted it to my taste. For instance, I am not huge on raw red onion or anything spicy. So, I use just a little bit of the red onion and make sure it's diced very small. Also like I mentioned I use an Anaheim Chile instead of a jalapeno because of the more mild flavor, and again, I dice this very small and sometimes only use 1/2 of the chile depending on how big it is.


This is the kind of recipe that is better the longer it sits, and can last about a week in the fridge. I dont just use it to dip chips in either. I have put it on top of grilled fish or chicken, or just eaten it plain. It's so good!


Also - I sometimes will dice up the ingredients and keep them in the fridge until I'm ready to make it, that way a lot of the prep work is already done and you just combine it and whisk up the dressing.

1 comment: