Sunday, August 16, 2009

Creamy Couscous Breakfast Pudding

I made this for the first time this morning for breakfast, I thought I'd try something new. =) Caleb & I both enjoyed it so I figured I'd post the recipe.
Time Saver Hint: I made the couscous the night before, and the next morning I just put it back into the saucepan to finish the recipe.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3 cups fat free milk
  • 2 tbl brown sugar (**Caleb & I like things a little more sweet so I put an extra tbl in and then sprinkled some on top when served**)
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 1/4 cup fat free egg substitute
  • 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ(**don't let this ingredient scare you off. It's actually pretty common. You can find it at most grocery stores, it's about $5 for a big container and should last a very long time**)
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds (optional)

1. Cook couscous according to package directions. (basically you boil water & salt, then pour the couscous in and immediately cover it and turn off the heat. 5 minutes later, you take the lid off and poof! It soaked up all the water and you just fluff it with a fork and it's done)

At this point I put the couscous in the fridge 'till the next morning, or you can continue.

2. Whisk the milk, brown sugar and orange zest into the couscous. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently to break up any lumps. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently until mixture is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat.

3. Whisk together 1/2 cup of the couscous mixture and the egg substitute in a small bowl. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring until pudding is thick and creamy. (about 5 more minutes)

4. Stir in wheat germ & vanilla. Serve topped with almonds if you like (sliced thinly) and fresh fruit even if you want to add more flavor.

I am going to add the nutritional value to this because it's good for you, very filling, and a good alternative to just same ol' oatmeal.

Generous 3/4 cup serving (without almonds or additional brown sugar) = 152 cal, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 2 mg chol, 123 mg sod, 28 g carb, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein.

No comments: