Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Dinner Time - Pork & Hominy Stew

This was another one of those recipes I consistently flipped past in one of my favorite cookbooks. It didn't have a picture. Plus it had words like "Hominy" in it. I had used Hominy once before but overall I was just never drawn to make this recipe. Something changed this week....and I thought I'd give it a whirl. Maybe it was the word "Stew" and the looming weather reports threatening clouds and rain. (which by the way, I saw the clouds, but no rain, and um...it was kind of warm...?) Didn't turn out to be stew weather. Getting done with a work out, being hot, tired and sweaty....the thought of making and eating stew was the last thing I wanted. But I had to do it! The 2 lb pork loin was already fully defrosted so I had no choice.... (some of you cooks out there understand the dilema of the already thawed meat that you just have to use....don't you? I know I'm not alone....) 

So, I'll start with the recipe. Then I'll tell you what I added to make it my own. ;)

INGREDIENTS

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup water
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless pork loin, trimmed & cut into 1 inch pieces
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
1 (14 1/2 oz) can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can white or yellow hominy, rinsed and drained (So Hominy, if you aren't familiar with it, is almost like a corn kernel. It's a bit more dense but it's almost like a starch in a way, like a bean texture? It adds a mild but delicious flavor and texture. You can find it in most mexican food isles. You just rinse and drain it like a can of beans. Don't be afraid to try "Strange" ingredients!) Below is a pic of it draining after I rinsed. You can see that it does look like little corn - but it does not taste like corn so don't let that fool you!
OKAY: So here's the thing. I forgot to buy cilantro at the store this weekend! I was very disapointed because I love cilantro. So, I had to leave it out. It ended up being just fine though!

Also - I was itching for a way to use my fresh zuchini from my garden so I cut up 2 medium sized green zuchini into chunks and put it in after the carrots were soft (see recipe steps further down). It was yummy!

Last - I also added a can of drained and rinsed black beans at the simmer step (YUM) and another 1/2 to 3/4 of a can of chicken broth for extra liquid since I was adding more veg with the beans and zuchini. Turned out perfect I dare say. :)

COOK

1. Puree onion, cilantro, water, garlic, oregano and cumin in a blender; set aside.

2. Heat the oil in a nonstick dutch oven (or large stock pot), add pork and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. About 4 minutes. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften. About 2 minutes. (here is where I added zuchini)

3. Add reserved onion mixture and the broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer (added beans here and also extra broth), partially covered, until poark and carrots are fork tender. About 30-40 minutes. Stir in the hominy and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.

~~I decided to slice up some corn tortillas and toss them in olive oil, salt, garlic powder, a pinch of chili powder and pinch of cumin and put them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degree heat for about 20 minutes (check every so often) until crispy. Whala! Instant tortilla crisps for topping.

~~I topped my soup with the tortilla crisps, some avocado and that was all I needed. I suspect when Caleb comes home he will probably add sour cream. You could also add some chopped tomatoes or green onions. The cilantro would sure come in handy. I did miss it personally but I don't think the recipe lacked without it at all. It was very filling, full of protein, low in fat, easy and fast to make. I was very surprised at how good it was, and the pork in a stew was a nice change from the usual suspects of beef or chicken.

Here are some pics, I know the one below of it simmering doesn't look terribly appetizing....but I put it up there anyways so that ... a) you can see I actually do make this stuff and b) to use as a guide in case you do make this, you can see if yours looks like mine or not. Maybe that's good or maybe that's bad, who knows.... :)


2 comments:

Lisa said...

Becky - you should save all this and write a cookbook...it'd be great!

Becky and Caleb said...

Thanks Mom! Though since most of it is from recipes in published cook books.... I probably wouldn't get away with that. But I could do a Volume II of the one I did last year for friends! ;-)